Turning Japanese: 17 fruit and veg a day

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

21/6/06 portions: 17!!

So my ma says that a large banana is 2 portions. I'm totally going with that, as I'm having a hard time trying to get to 17. I try for some easy portions each day -- a cup of juice, always. My juice of choice has been, and will be for the near future, apple juice. Although I wasn't raised an orange juice drinker, I like it. However, ethically, I can't bring myself to drink it, so I drink British apple juice (if you're interested in why, click here). Which brings me to some of the rules of this endeavour. I try to eat organic and local (British) produce. If I do not get the choice of local, organic fruit and veg, I'll chose local. I just hate the idea that for my food to get to me, it produces so many CO² emissions. So, if I get the choice of organic, I'll always go for it. But if it's organic apples from New Zealand or regular apples from Britain, I'll chose the latter. Shoot, I'll even chose apples from France or Canada or the US. Anyway, here's my portions for the day -- and I've done it, the magic 17, on the back of a huge amount of peas:

    1 British apple juice
    1 watermelon (from Spain; I have ethical issues about that as well, which I'll get into another time)
    1 satsuma (Spain)
    2 bananas (orgin - not sure; I was so desperate I didn't bother with the Fair Trade)
    1 strawberry (UK - Scottish even!)
    1 organic red pepper
    3 spinach (UK)
    7 organic frozen peas
There's no stopping me now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home